It is located 110km north of Mombasa 45km from Kilifi and 20 km south of malindii, you can get there by road, from Mombasa town or by plane through Malindi. Access through Mombasa tarmac road.
Access through Malindi.
By Air: Malindi and Mombasa Airports.
SIZE / LOCATION:
it covers 420sq km
It lies a few kilometers inland, between the towns of Kilifi and Malindi, you can get there by road, which is 110 Kms from mombasa town or by plane through Malindi or Mombasa airports.
Average annual rainfall ranges from 900mm in the dry and scrubby northwest to 1100mm in the east.
SAFARI CARD REQUIRED?
At present the park does not operate on smart card system. Entry is by cash only (KSH or US$).
- Endemic Bird species, Butterflies, Remnant coastal forest.
- It is the largest existing fragment of the tropical forests along the East African coast and it shelters endemic/endangered birds, insects, butterflies and mammal species.
- It is also an important monument as remnants of the coastal tropical forests.
- A couple of reptile species (in addition to other species living here e.g. butterflies, Beetles) are found here among them Boomslang, Green Mamba, Rock Python, Forest Cobra, Sand Lizard and Day Geullo.
- It is a great reserve for birdwatching and among the bird species includes Sokoke Pipit, Amani Sunbird,Fischers Turaco, Clarkes weaver, Golden Woodpecker and many others
- Seasonal pools, Tree plat form, Nyari view point and Nature trails.
- Three distinct forest habitat
Golden-rumped Elephant-shrew, Sokoke bushy-tailed Mongoose, Ader’s Duiker, waterbuck, Bushbuck, African Civet, Blotched Genet, Caracal, syke’s monkeys, several bird species.
Prolific birdlife features 230 species.
WHERE TO STAY:
There is Currently no accommodation in the reserve. There are lots of accommodation facilities along this coast to suit all budget levels
Jamii Villas, Kitsapu Cottage boardering the forest along mombasa malindi high way.
- Bird Watching
- Butterfly watching
- General walk
- Game drives
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU:
Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscream, sunglasses, Note book, guidebooks and local tour guide.