- Distance: from Nairobi 800 km north of Nairobi.
- By air There are 2 all weather strips
- Gates: One gate
- Roads: high-clearance 4WD is essential all year round.Travel in convoy is recommended.
- the lake is a three day drive from Nairobi via Marsabit and North Horr, or Maralal and south Horr.
- Alternatively travel by road from Nairobi to Kalokol on the lake’s western shores, via Kitale and Lodwar. From Kalokol boat hire services are available across the lake to Allia Bay.
SIZE / LOCATION
- 1,570 Km2.
- Lake Turkana ,Marsabit Diatrict, Eastern Province.
scorching hot and arid (especially December- March). June and July are the coolest months. May- September very strong winds blow both morning and evening. Rainfall less than 250mm pa and in some places it may not rain for several years.
PERSONNEL ON CALL
At present the park does not operate the smartcard system. Entry is by cash only( Ksh or US $ )
- Origin of man: Koobo For a museum and research base.
- The tempestuous ‘jade sea’
- Petrified forests
- Prolific birdlife
- Crocodile Kingdom
- Zebra,Grant’s gazelle, reticulated giraffe, beisa oryx, topi, greater kudu, hippo, lion, cheetah, leopard, striped hyena and silver-backed jackal.
- The world’s largest Nile crocodile population breeds on Lake Turkana Central Island.
WHERE TO STAY
In- Park Accommodation
- Oasis Lodge
- Lobolo Tented Camp
Self – Catering Accomodation:
- Allia Bay Guesthouse: offers 3double bedrooms,solar generated electricity and furnished indoor sitting,dinning and kitchen.
- National Museum of Kenya, Koobi Fora, there is also a campsite.
- 2 public campsites (latrines only no water) as follows: Turkana campsite and koodi Fora Campsite
- Sunset Strip Camp
- Game viewing
- Archeological safaris
- Bird watching
BEST TIME TO VISIT
All year round
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks